We can’t wait to host you at the Canadian Farm Writers’ Federation annual conference in Regina, Sask., Sept. 29 to Oct. 1. You’ll come to love Prairie life and our living skies (if you don’t already) and see firsthand how Saskatchewan agriculture is growing greener all the time.
Overview of Friday’s Tour Choices
Option 1: Prairie Vistas Tour
This one promises plenty of wide-open skies as you head to Axten Farms an hour and a half south of Regina. We’ll hear how the Axtens, Outstanding Young Farmers, live their motto, Loyal to the Soil, using regenerative farming practices. Next, we’ll visit Hoimyr Farms where beef cattle are raised on native prairie and tame forage. Finally, a stop at Purely Canada Foods, where sustainably grown, identity-preserved food and ingredients are gathered and processed using their own railway and terminal. We’ll also see the nearby 70,000-acre Kambeitz Farms, where some of the seed processed by Purely Canada is grown.
Option 2: Down to the Valley Tour
Motherwell Homestead shows us what scientific farming methods looked like at the turn of the last century, as explored by a Saskatchewan homesteader who became Canada’s agriculture minister in 1921. We’ll stop at the recreated Historic Bell Barn that showcases the evolution of agriculture in the area, and a trip to Qu’Appelle Valley Bison, where the operator uses a whole-herd, regenerative agriculture approach.
FULL AGENDA UPDATE:
- Thursday – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. – optional informal city site tours (TBD); evening reception at hotel
- Friday – 8 a.m. board a bus and set out on your selected tour; return to the city in time for supper at your choice of local restaurant (supper not included in conference fee)
- Saturday – 8 a.m. CFWF member meeting; 10 a.m. professional development tour at U of Regina and a food processing plant; 6 p.m. cocktails and banquet
- Saturday only includes professional development tour, lunch, and awards banquet
- Virtual webinars only register for our four online PD sessions only
This year, professional development is moving to a hybrid delivery. We offer four webinars during September ($50 fee) plus in-person professional development that’s included in your conference registration. The webinars will be recorded so once registered you can watch at your convenience.
- Sept. 1: Tribalism, the Truth and the Media: The role of agriculture journalists in today’s town square
- Sept. 8: Award-Worthy Writing: What makes good agricultural science writing?
- Sept. 15: Treaty Land Sharing Network: Honouring treaties by connecting landholders with First Nations and Métis people
- Sept. 22: Regenerative Agriculture: What is it, and what does it look like at the grassroots level?
Can’t make it to Regina? Choose the online professional development option only for $60.
We’ve missed you!
Your CFWF2022 team looks forward to seeing our old friends and making many new ones this September!
Karen Briere, Chair
Got questions? Contact Diane Goski, Registrar.
Conference Rates (Canadian dollars)
Early bird (until August 12)
- CFWF member: $275
- Students: $275
- Non-member: $400
Effective August 13
- CFWF member: $350
- Students: $350
- Non-member: $525
Registration fee includes*
- Thursday night reception
- Friday bus tour with lunch, snacks and beverages
- Saturday tour with lunch
- Saturday banquet
- Hospitality Room nightly
Registration closes September 19, 2022. We cannot accept registrations after that date.
- Accommodations are not included in the conference registration fee – our room block expires August 26, so get those bookings in!
- Saturday-only packages are also available at a reduced rate. These include CFWF town hall meeting, PD tour, and evening banquet with awards ceremony.
- If you’ve registered and won’t be able to attend parts of the conference, please let us know so that we can avoid extra costs and food waste where possible.
- Extra tickets to the Saturday night banquet will be available until Sept. 19 for $75 each.
If you cancel
- On or before September 8, 2022 – Full refund, less 10% administration fee
- On or before September 15, 2022 – 50% refund
- On or before September 22, 2022 – 30% refund
- September 23 or later – No refund (but you may send a substitute)
All cancellations and changes must be sent to CFWF2022.firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadlines noted above. Refunds will be sent by cheque after Oct. 2, 2022.